The Dementia Knowledge Translation Learning Centre is a central resource designed to give dementia researchers key tools and skills for translating research results into knowledge that can be used by other researchers, physicians, policy-makers, and the public across Canada and beyond its borders. Recognizing the many useful resources already available online, the purpose of the Dementia Knowledge Translation (DKT) Learning Centre is to provide a central hub for existing information and to build on these resources with a focus on dementia KT efforts. Through the Learning Centre, researchers can learn more about how to conduct and adapt dementia studies to inform further research, and to ultimately use the new knowledge gained to improve the treatment and care of persons with dementia and support their caregivers.
Why is there a need?
“A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle” – Khalil Gibran.
- Aging population and the dementia tsunami
- Socioeconomic impact of cognitive impairment
- Healthcare inequalities and inefficiencies
- Changes in funding requirements, priorities, and constraints
- Need for better communication between researchers, clinicians, and persons with dementia and their families and caregivers
- Knowledge gaps along the dementia spectrum
- Empirical research evidence for dementia care
- Public understanding of research findings, meaningful treatment and care strategies.
And compelling information drives the need, for example:
- Few patients with Alzheimer’s disease receive a trial of drugs for dementia treatment, whereas many Alzheimer’s patients are prescribed anti-psychotic medications
- To date there is no disease modifying treatment available
- The diagnostic structure for dementia has recently been revised
- Many care facilities are not optimally designed to address the needs of people with dementia
- The web is under-exploited as a learning and care planning tool
Knowledge Translation will bring people into contact with lessons from high quality research to improve the lives of people with dementia.
(Source: Adapted from GMR)
How to navigate this site
The Dementia KT Learning Centre is the portal for information on the following Dementia Knowledge Translation (DKT) topics:
Comments or feedback?
We welcome your feedback as we continually strive to improve the information that is made available on this site. Contact us at email@example.com